Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Covers, Titles, and Blurbs. How important are blurbs?

Hi.

It has been emphasised in almost every essay on marketing and publishing that the three most important things, the things readers notice and absorb first about your book, are 1. The Title, 2. The Cover, and 3. The Blurb.

This is only logical. Your eyes is first drawn to the visual aspect of something you want to purchase. Does the style of the cover appeal to you? Will it look nice on your bookshelves? Is it proper eye candy?

Then your consciousness starts up and your attention is drawn to the title. Does the book have a cool title (especially valid for fiction)? Is the title fitting? Will your visitors be impressed when they see it on your bookshelf?

Then... supposedly... the blurb is next. But I want to ask you a question.

Do you actually read blurbs? (I mean 'read' in a wider sense than word-for-word. In this case skimming counts as reading.)

For most people, the answer will likely be yes. Most people read blurbs. Did you nod when you read the question? Did you say to yourself 'yes'? Well, that's creepy.

Errm...

Why would you not read a blurb? How then would you know whether the story is something you'd like? How else can you tell the book is something you want to read?

I have a confession to make.
I don't. I don't read blurbs because I read like I write. I don't want to know what the book is about before I start it. I don't want to be primed in any way. I want to come into the book like I don't know what's going on, and I want to find out what's going on while I read it. The cover and title are normally enough... and if they aren't, I drop the book. Life's too busy, and there's way too many great book out there to spend time on something you don't enjoy 100%.

A blurb can prime you. You'll expect the book to be a certain thing... and then you might be disappointed if you don't get it, even if the story was brilliant, and the blurb wrong for it, or just tailored to another version of it, a version that wasn't written, and that you won't find in the book. I'd rather be surprised, go on a journey. This way, I don't get impatient with the book, because I don't know what I'm waiting for, what still has to happen for the blurb to make sense/fulfill its potential.

I'd much rather have a cover that hints at mystery.
Why is the man with the staff facing off against some kind of water-demon? What's the with the girl in a man's knight's armour? Why are there four children stranded in a secluded valley? This, and the title, are the things that draw me in to such an extent that I forego the Blurb completely. They are much more effective on their own than if a Blurb is included.

In the same way I prefer books that don't explain their magic system, I'd rather find out about the magic of a book without being told what it is about.

What do you think? Does this seem like something you could agree with... or am I the only one who thinks this way?

I hope you're having a great week and your writing is going well! :)
Cheers!

Like this post? Like my short stories too! Like the insightful rantiness of this post? Become a stalker! Follow me on twitter @jimneyauthor. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment