Saturday, November 3, 2018

10X WIP (How to manage all your works in progress)

Hi folks.

It's been a while but here is your one and only WriteBot!

I am currently working on 10 WIPs. They're not all books or short stories but include my marketing plans as well. I've been making many plans and trying to out more writing in the last few days (since having a complete meltdown and deciding to go ALL IN).

Here's a list of what I'm working on:

  • editing the fairy tale Catching Fireflies. CF will be getting another part approximately twice its length to enhance the story. It's by far my most sold story and it will be even better with the new edit!
  • editing Of One Mind. This is a story inspired by psychology and the question of what will happen when people try to join themselves directly to each others' minds. It's grisly (BUT AWESOME!)
  • editing Eye in the Sky (A bit of cosmic horror because that's one of my favourite genres and our Lord Cthulu has to be praised).
  • editing Hourglass. This one is hard. I've been working on it for about five years by now and it's a huge project. I have written three (actually four but the fourth is a spin off) novels in this series and plan to finish the fourth main story novel within this year. It is one of the best stories I've ever written but needs much help so it'll go to another two of my beta readers on Monday!
  • hand in hand with the above: finishing all of Simon Walker's adventure in the ancient world! Hourglass is the first book. There are three more (The Tower of Fear, WIP novel three, and WIP novel four.) It's such a great adventure story!
  • finishing Ris's story. You remember the leshy story I posted a year (Oh My! A year!) ago? It wasn't complete then and it still isn't. But I plan to complete it still.
  • writing the NEW STORY. It doesn't have a title yet but it's... already really amazing. It makes my skin tingle just thinking about it (but that might just be the mid-writing panic). This new story is pure sci-fi. It's set in a dystopian cyberpunk town called Clockwork City. It has androids, cyborgs, humans, pretty clockwork girls, and war.

This is the point where we switch from actual craft to publishing - something that absolutely has to be done!

  • publishing short story collections. I am currently working on three of them: Into the Deep (mostly mysterious water-related stories such as Catching Fireflies), Xenos (weird cosmic alien stories - a bit like Solaris by Stanislaw Lem), and a new collection which doesn't have a title yet but will have mostly nice magical stories. (PS: this is the best one if you just want to read something relaxing and sweet. But it'll still make you think and consider your life.)
  • publishing Elegy of the Stars. This is another story very dear to me. Very. (But then again, they all are...) It's a story that was excruciatingly hard on me if I'm completely honest. It was very emotionally taxing and I cried every time I picked it up and tried to work on it. That's probably why it took me about five years to finish even though it's a novel and doesn't have anywhere near as many words as my great epic Hourglass.
  • publishing Warlike/The Torn Earth. This is a bit more YA than the rest of my stories. It's also kick-ass and you should definitely check it out once it's out. I'm currently fixing the title/name on the cover.

Last but not least we'll talk about marketing:  

We all know we'd rather be writing than marketing - right? But what if you can be creative while doing it? What if you can make it actually fun with little giveaways and promotional posters as well as CUSTOM BOOKMARKS?

The plan includes:

  • intelligent twitter pieces
  • artwork (posters/bookmarks) to hand out on the streets
  • 'free book day' giveaways on KDP (including the necessary promotion by handing out flyers and posting it on twitter)
  • an appearance at ComicCon in March (that's the Dutch comic con because I live there)
  • a few panels of comic for Hourglass (I'd love to fully make Hourglass a comic as well as book, but it's a huge project. That goal has to wait a bit still.)
  • frequent blog posts (at least twice a week with useful content for readers and writers. By the way, this includes my dusty book review blog, WriteBotWins!)


All right! These are my plans for the rest of the year and beyond. I want to keep adding targets to work towards and really make this work. It's been a wake-up call when I (shamefully admitted) spiraled into depression even after doing very well in the last few weeks in real life. But that's a topic for another day. My goals at this point are as they stand.

It can only get better!

Remember: WriteBot Always Wins! And WriteBot will win THIS too. (PS: You can become WriteBot as well! Do it. Write, and become WriteBot! Practice your backside off! Practice some more. Push when you feel like you're being destructed at the seams like some lowly scrap bot! Keep pushing even while your partner's already watching the telly or gaming on their PC. Keep pushing towards those goals!)

WriteBot off to publish Elegy of the Stars (Jollyroger, I'm scared.).

No comments:

Post a Comment