Sunday, November 4, 2018

News that make me even happier than reviews: Fier Zoo Rescue

Hi and good afternoon folks

Today I learned even better news than yesterday.

A bit of background: About two weeks ago terrible images came to light about a zoo in Albania - Fier Zoo. In this zoo the animals were neglected. All of them were starved and their enclosures much too small and dirty. The conditions were horrible. A lion with painfully infected eyes was photographed by an anonymous visitor to the zoo, as well as starved wolf cowering in a closet-sized rusty metal enclosure, a three-legged bear (I learned she's called Dushi!), and many other animals whose suffering was greatly visible.

I will admit without any shame that the pictures made me cry (and not many things do these days).

An animal rescue organization called Four Paws International took up the case and was asking for donations in order to save these animals.

This was the first time ever that I donated. I couldn't give the millions I wanted to (at some point I will be rich enough to donate millions!) but I know one thing today: My contribution was 100% worth it.

The animals were finally rescued on the 29th of October. As usual for me I learned of this late because I was incredibly busy (and depressed) last week. But today I checked up on the project's progress today and... I cried. I am so happy. These animals are so precious. They were so hurt. And now they're getting better! Added bonus: The lions will be taken to a rescue in the Netherlands. This means I can actually go there and visit them (which I definitely want to as soon as they are 'ready'). I will be able to see first hand how the poor lion with his infected eyes is doing and that they are taken care of. What could be better than that? The review I was so over the moon about yesterday, while still definitely a great achievement, does not compare to what I feel today. I am just so deeply happy the animals are now safe and taken care of it is difficult (even for me as a writer) to describe it in words.

All my appreciation goes to Four Paws and everyone who donated to save those animals. Thank you so much. You did the greatest thing you could have ever done.

Please also consider extending your help once again. The animals (and Four Paws) can still use your assistance.

(Note: I want to add here that I'm in no way affiliated with Four Paws. I am simply a writer who appreciates what Four Paws is doing in the Fier Zoo case and others and would like to show my support not only through donating but also by using my gift of writing itself.)

Yesterday I was elated. Today I am deeply grateful and satisfied that the animals are safe.

That's all.

But not quite.

As soon as I heard about the horrible conditions of the zoo in Albania I did not only donate. The first thing (while calculating how much I could give without serious repercussions in my own life) I did was actually to take to my keyboard. Of course! I'm a writer and the pain I felt when seeing these images woke in me a fury. That's where a new short story came into being.

It's called 'Who is the monster?' and I will be releasing it later today! It will be here on my blog - free to read and I'll let you know on Twitter once it's up.

Unlike my other stories this one is not gentle - and it's not supposed to be. It's a story of rage and pain and a means to release all these emotions for everyone who was just as affected as me by the pictures of Fier. (And really all other animal mistreatment cases included.)

With that in mind I'll head off to making the publishing of the story a reality. Stay tuned!

PS: WriteBot is still indescribably angry about what happened at Fier Zoo. WriteBot also considers it a great win that the animals are now free.

No comments:

Post a Comment